Friday, March 12, 2010

Aunt Judy wasn't kidding

I love my aunt Judy. Actually, everyone loves my aunt Judy, she's just got that sparkle. Whenever we went to aunt Judy's she cooked enough food to feed an army. Little did I know this was just a survival tactic. It wasn't for our benefit, it was more about he teenage boys. She used to go on and on about how hard it was to keep those boys fed. Jimmy, the oldest was a bean pole, Billy was beefier, but by no means overweight. These boys reportedly inhaled food constantly like they were about to be shipped off to Ethiopia. To tell you the truth, I never paid much attention. I mean, they're boys, what did I care about how much they ate? I just remember all the talk about it.
Now I know how she feels and I only have to feed one teenage boy. It's like the boy turned 13 and overnight developed a tape worm. I can't keep this boy fed. I try to stock the freezer with things he can heat up and snack on between meals (hot pockets, chicken nuggets, pizza rolls) and he still eats dinner like he hasn't seen food in a week. And where does it all go? I have no idea. He's a bean pole like Jimmy. Just keeps getting taller.
Here's an example:
Tonight I made homemade macaroni and cheese. Usually, I make it in a 9x9" dish. But, knowing how my son eats, I made a double batch in my 13x9" dish. Not even a 1/4 of it is left. And he still ate dessert! Is there an assitance program for families with teenage boys? Kinda like WIC. you know where I can get things like milk and cheese? Because I think I need it more now that when I had it for these kids and myself when I was pregnant and they were little.

No comments: